If you are a tenant and especially if it is your first agreement with a landlord you must know some information’s about your rights and duties regarding house share in London.
As a tenant you have some important duties as:
- First and the most important duty is to pay the rent. Once you sign an agreement you need to respect it. Paying the rent on time is the responsibility you must accomplish first!! If you have any troubles you need to tell to your landlord and ask him to wait for your rent a few days. If he agrees with you, you can pay later; but, if he don’t agree with your proposal you are bound to pay it on time.
- They must preserve the premises! Once your landlord gives you, his house you need to respect it and take care of it. You sign that you will do not damage anything from the house or if you do it you will replace it right away. If you do not do it, your landlord has the right to close the agreement immediately without letting you to get the deposit back. You will have your deposit back only if you pay the damages. So, take care of all things from the house!
- Duty to operate is another important responsibility and it is written on the paper where you sign your agreement.
But, you have also rights, as a tenant:
- You need to know that you are protected from an eviction that isn’t fair for you! It is called: Constructive eviction”. So, it means that you as a tenant don’t have the right to stay in your landlord house anymore, but you weren’t evicted!
- Also, if your landlord asks for an unfair rent, you can defend yourself!
- You have the right to live in the property without being disturbed by anyone! Even your landlord can’t disturb you! He doesn’t have the right to come to your house unannounced! But, if he doesn’t come unannounced do not be disrespectful! Keep a good relationship between you two!
- You have the right to sign a long-term agreement! If you want an agreement for more than 2 years, you have the right to have it!
- You also, have the right to quit when you want. But, you have to announce your landlord 4 weeks before.
- You have the right to live in a property that is safe for you and that is in a good condition!
You can find the best house or room sharing in London only at: Room Hunters !